With the temps cooling down, I wanted to share one of my favorite soups for winter! I first discovered this recipe on Popsugar last year, and it’s quickly become one of my go-to’s. I know some people (especially non-vegetarians) are weirded out by lentils. But just trust me — this soup is SO comforting and you will change your mind. It requires only a few ingredients and a crock pot. Simple and oh-so good. 😀
Butternut Squash Lentil Soup (Recipe from Popsugar Fitness):
- 8 cups veggie broth
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound (3 cups) of butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- (Optional): dash of cayenne
- (Optional): dash of turmeric
**Trade Joe’s also sells pre-chopped mirepoix (combo of celery, carrot and onion), if you don’t feel like cutting/peeling/chopping yourself. Look for it by the refrigerated produce/salad mixes. Would make this recipe even easier!
- Put all ingredients into a slow cooker and secure the lid.
- Turn it on low. Leave for 8 hours (or on high for 5 hours).
- Stir and eat!
- (Optional): season with a dash of
- cayenne and turmeric.
- Store in airtight container in the fridge for 3 days or in the freezer.