Happy Monday, everyone! Time to get back to work after a relaxing weekend. I am nearing the end of my half marathon training! Yesterday I ran 8 miles. I can’t believe how quickly the training has flown by! Admittedly, I skipped more than one of my long weekend runs (oops!) due to travel plans and visitors. But I’m feeling on track and am SO excited for the race in September! I lend much of my success to a SLEEP (+ no alarms on the weekend!), hydration, plenty of rest days, stretching and proper nutrition. Which is the perfect segue-way into today’s post… healthy snacks!
I received an email from a reader a few weeks ago asking for healthy meal and snack suggestions. I figured this would make a good post, so I’m starting with snacks! Here goes!
1. Larabars — I am a huge fan of snack bars due to their portability. Perfect for the office, travel or just on-the-go eating, I am particularly fond of Larabars. Each bar contains only a few ingredients — usually some combination of nuts and dates. Plus, they taste like dessert! I buy them individually at Trader Joe’s — they’re pretty reasonably priced, and then you can mix and match the flavors! The “Peanut Butter” cookie is one of my favorites.
2. Nourish Snacks — I recently tried the Coco’nilla Crunch for the first time. Thank goodness these come in individual servings… because I definitely could’ve eaten a few more handfuls! This stuff is delicious, super flavorful and packed with healthy ingredients. I’ve started to see it offered at Starbucks and juice shops around NYC. It’s perfect to stash in your purse or tote bag for when hunger strikes!
3. 3-Ingredient Cookies — if you’re up for a DIY (easy!) snack, these cookies can’t be beat! Just three ingredients… need I say more?
4. Popcorn — Ohhh, how I love popcorn! I have been obsessed with this snack for about as long as I can remember. Lately I’ve been buying Trader Joe’s olive oil or guilt-free popcorn, but nothing beats homemade popcorn on the stove. Mmmm!
5. Pumpkin seeds — I love, love, love pumpkin seeds. If you have a “salt” tooth like me, you will appreciate them, too. I’m a big fan of these mini packs from Duane Reade. Sometimes when I forget to bring a snack to work, I’ll run over and pick one up — they’re only $1! Otherwise I always keep the full-size bags from Trader Joe’s stocked in my pantry, which are only about $4.
6. Cold pressed green juice — another great Trader Joe’s find — green juice! This is one of my favorite travel snacks because it packs a portable punch of nutrients, which can often be hard to find at airport food courts.
7. Pretzels and hummus or pretzels and nuts — I am 100% addicted to flat pretzels. One of my favorites is the Trader Joe’s “everything” pretzel slims. They are SO flavorful, it actually forces you to slow down a bit when you’re eating them. For a snack, pair with hummus (red pepper is my favorite!) or nuts/pumpkin seeds.
8. Healthy muffins or bread — try a recipe that packs in protein/fiber and fruit. That way it’s more than just empty calories, and you’re actually getting some nutrients that will keep you fuller for longer! Pictured below is a recent lemon blueberry bread I whipped up (recipe here).
9. Apple or banana and nut butter — another easy go-to. I love pairing fresh fruit with a dollop of nut butter. Here I opted for apples and Trader Joe’s flax and chia peanut butter (crunchily addictive!).
- DIY trail mix with cereal, nuts and freeze dried fruit (try Trader Joe’s freeze dried mango, strawberries or raspberries)
- Handful of nuts or pumpkin seeds
- Rice cakes with nut butter
- Avocado toast
What are your favorite healthy snacks?